6.16.2013

a sunday post for my father


When I left my ex almost three years ago, my dad made it pretty clear that he disagreed with my decision. He felt strongly that I was making a mistake I would come to regret, and he tried, unsuccessfully, to convince me to reconsider. Eventually, it became clear that he wasn't going to be able to. And so instead - as though he believed in it with all of his heart - he set about making sure the path I had chosen was the best it could possibly be.

This is how my father shows his love. By going to get my things from my old apartment when I can't bring myself to do it. By driving a U-Haul in a snowstorm so that I don't have to hire movers. By building custom shelves and reconfiguring my shower and fixing the jagged edges of my countertop. When he knows that everything is hard, my papa makes sure that the things that don't have to be, aren't. When he knows that everything hurts, he makes sure that the things that don't have to, don't.

Time and time again, my father has shown me that whether he agrees with my choices or not, he will always, always have my back. Right or wrong, he is on my side. I know that I can count on him no matter what, because at the end of the day, all he cares about is that I'm happy. That really is it.

I cannot explain how much I love this man.

So here's to you daddy. I feel blessed - every single day - to have you as my father. I may not always listen to you, and I definitely don't always agree with you, but I promise to always, always have your back. No matter what.

Oh, and to make you breakfast when you visit next weekend. That too ;)

Love you papa,

E
post signature

2 comments :

  1. A touching post - you are very fortunate to have such a father. Enjoy his kindness and love. Happy sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a touching post! Your dad must be proud to have a charming and thoughtful daughter like you. Just discovered your blog, I'll definitively be back;)
    Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me borderline giddy! Thanks so much for taking the time!